Saturday 27 October 2012

handles pt3

First batch of mugs... major warping as feared. On the plus side I like the glazes especially my new grey/blue. I think a set with varying strengths of colour on each mug would look good. And the coloured rim just about works too, a good bit of continuity with the earthenware bowls I used to make.


Still some work to do on dipping into glaze and getting a neat top edge. Next time I will try pouring in clear glaze and then paint wax resist around the inside of the rim which will allow me to dip the outside of the vessel without getting any of the outside colour on the inside. Hopefully.



I think that the weight of the handles is pulling the clay when its molten and soft in the kiln.

How to address warping?

- reducing the size and weight of the handles is a first step (they look too big anyway so thats easy).

- placing the handles lower down, away from the rim which is I expect the most vulnerable part

- deliberately warping a few raw pots in the opposite direction and see if the handle then pulls them back into the right shape

No comments:

Post a Comment